Saturday, April 2, 2011

The aftermath

I finally brought myself to writing about the final days of Kiev Fashion Days, which ended nearly a week ago. And being in that competition, I'm meant to blog daily, but I don't believe in this. I believe that one should blog whenever one actually has something to say, and not to tick off a blogger's box.

Kiev Fashion Days. What can I say? Thanks a lot to the organisers of this fashion event in Ukraine, it was a major one. But I must admit, I didn't even go to the last day of it although I did have a press pass. I came back from three catwalk shows and a lecture by Alena Doletskaya - ex-editor of Vogue Russia - to find that I was exhausted. Exhausted from what I saw.

What people do at events like this (in Ukraine at least) is dress to impress. Sometimes in the unpleasant meaning of the phrase. People try too hard to be eclectic, shocking, loud, bright, whatever. This is when fashion stops being stylish and starts becoming a race for appearances on blogs and magazines. Some pople don't even realize that they look ridiculous, not stylish.

Anyway, that's my bitter impression from a concentrated bohemian crowd. The shows were nice. Nice, not impressive, I guess. Sasha Kanevsky's collection, for example, seemed adult and sleek, yes, but I felt like he wasn't bothered to do much - we've seen it all before (with all the respect for the designer, he is a cool man).

Alena Doletskaya's Q&A lecture was, perhaps, the most inspiring hour of the KFD. She used a term that sounded something like "feverish blogging". This, I guess, is the best way to describe what's going on in the Ukrainian blogsphere. I feel like eveything is digested and redigested online, very little is original. I hope we start moving in a more creative, creating direction very soon.

And here are a few memorable moments from the event. I'm still looking forward to the next KFDs to come. It's nice to see Ukrainian Fashion put itself out there.




Sosnovskaya show


Alena Doletskaya, a very inspiring woman who can really be called a role model for any fashion editor, with Daria Shapovalova - a Ukrainian fashion TV presenter and icon.


Have a stylish weekend. x


Follow my blog with bloglovin

4 comments:

Nicki said...

Blogger's life is not an easy one! ;)

Hanna said...

Blogging's for pleasure, it's not a job. We should enjoy what we do!

Kelly-Ann Maddox said...

I've enjoyed your coverage of Kiev Fashion Week.

Kira Aderne said...

My friend Hanna!

OUr blog changed! Here it goes our new link, please update us here!

www.kirafashion.com.br

Love,

Kira